LOVE HORSES? LOVE RETAIL? READ ON!
EQUUS (www.equus.co.uk) was founded in 2013 in response to a clear gap in the extremely fragmented £4.3bn UK equestrian market. The business has grown from start-up to become the UK’s fastest growing online only equestrian retailer built on the principle of “by riders, for riders”.
We’re now recruiting a MERCHANDISER to help take the company through the next phase of growth. Working closely alongside our CEO, the Merchandiser will play a key role in range planning, buying and profit maximisation, whilst also building supplier relationships.
Read the job spec below and then apply with your CV & covering letter!
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
For us, the Merchandiser role is about more than just showing off products on our website. Our Merchandiser will play a key role in range planning, buying and profit maximisation, as well as building supplier relationships – all with the aim of ensuring our horse-loving customers have the best equestrian shopping experience online. All in all, a perfect job for an equestrian to combine their love of horses with a passion for merchandising!
Please note, we're a digital business and operate purely online. This is not a store merchandising role.
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION
Range Building and Planning
- Develop and agree category plans
- Create a range plan that maximizes sales and profit
- Evaluate the equestrian market together with historical data and forward trends to develop phased plans
- Present the range plan for review and sign off
- Continuously monitor market activity through regular competitor analysis, gather market intelligence from a wide variety of sources in order to take appropriate commercial action
- Establish critical path for development and delivery of all product ranges
- Provide input on promotional and marketing plans to optimize sales and profit.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets, sales and profit targets
- Monitor performance against plan, taking appropriate action to maximize sales and profit and reduce stockholding whilst increasing stock turn
- Deliver cost effective supply solutions and achieve maximum full price sales and planned margin
- Review, propose and implement mark-down activity to reduce slow moving stock whilst quantifying the impact on margin
- Drive increase in margin through creative sourcing strategies and methods to build profit
- Identify new business opportunities to grow sales and profitability
- Communicate trading issues and forecasts, with proposed actions, to management.
- Plan availability schedule for new and continuity products
- Control stock levels so that they are in line with agreed forecasts
- Quantification of 'Open to buy' with phased commitment to increase flexibility throughout the season
- Ensure commitment is managed in line with company needs
- Monitor and manage the availability of stock from suppliers and slow-moving lines
- Manage stock flow through the warehouse, resolving any issues that arise.
- Meet regularly with suppliers
- Negotiate cost prices and full spectrum of discounts to increase margin
- Identify supply issues or delays and manage in a timely fashion to minimize impact on sales
- Ensure purchase orders are raised on time
- Identify and regularly review potential suppliers and negotiate commercially viable contracts
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with suppliers
- Analyse suppliers’ performance and agree appropriate action with the CEO
- Contribute to future supplier strategies
- Measure products’ performance against agreed quality standards and take necessary action with suppliers
- Negotiate and manage the recovery of supplier contribution, e.g. for marketing.
Analysis & Reporting
- Implement category review schedule, action and deliver continuous improvement of results
- Analyse performance of best sellers to ensure that they reach their maximum potential
- Monitor competitor’s performance and report findings to the CEO quarterly
Capability, knowledge & experience
- Good all-round IT skills, i.e. proficient with a computer
- Good Excel skills
- Experienced Merchandiser (note, this is an online merchandising role, no stores)
- Knowledge of e-commerce would be an advantage.
Education & Qualifications
- Ideally educated to graduate level or similar.
- Strong commercial acumen and the ability to understand and identify what will appeal to customers
- Strong analytical and numerical skills to work out budgets and understand sales figures
- Sound decision-making skills
- The ability to plan and prioritise workload in order to meet strict deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Natural problem solver with an efficient and methodical approach to work
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with internal and external stakeholders.
What's on offer
- Fantastic opportunity for an experienced merchandiser to join a business on the cusp of growth
- Career development and unrivalled scope for progression
- Great salary with benefits.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES.
Please state Equine Careers when applying for this vacancy.
VIEW CURRENT VACANCIES